Polysulphate significantly increased yields, on average by 8.8%, when compared to farmer practice.
Shangqiu, Henan province, China.
To evaluate the addition of Polysulphate and sulphate of potash (SOP) to the farmers’ practice on the yield and yield parameters of tomato crop grown in Henan Province, China.
This randomized complete block trial consisted of three replicates with three treatments.
- Farmer practice,
- Farmer practice + 750 kg/ha of SOP, and
- Farmer practice + 750 kg/ha of Polysulphate.
Farmer practice consisted of applying 7.5 ton/ha organic fertilizer as base-fertilizer. In addition, there were 4 topdressings during the whole growth period. Each topdressing consisted of 75 kg/ha urea and 150 kg/ha compound fertilizer (15-15-15).
- Polysulphate application led to an increase in the number of fruits per plant, and an increase in fruit weight.
- Compared with SOP application, the average yield in the treatment with Polysulphate increased by 4.88 ton/ha (yield increase of 5.9%).
- Polysulphate addition significantly increased yields as compared with farmer practice: the average yield when treated with Polysulphate increased by 8.8%.